Thursday, March 09, 2006

SOS: Save Our Spaghetti!

Since I was 8 one of my favourite meals has been spaghetti on toast. Not any spaghetti of course, I’m talking about pasta shapes in tomato sauce. There have been many over the years, The Simpsons, Ghostbusters, Robot Wars, Scooby Doo, Spiderman even Bagpuss (I’ll never be grown up enough for plain old spaghetti hoops!)

Throughout my teen years and Uni this meal evolved into breakfast. If I had a long day ahead I’d whack the microwave on for two minutes, slam in the bread and await one of my favourite feasts. Lately HP’s Scooby Doo shapes with BBQ sausages had been a firm favourite.

Then, last week, breakfast rolled around. Innocently I made my breakfast, sat at the table and tucked in. It ended up with me rushing for the sink holding the vomit down. I thought the spaghetti had gone off but on closer inspection I noticed that HP now had a new, no added salt and no sugar recipe. While it may be healthy it tasted vile. I tried a second can in case it was just a dodgy batch. Nope, just as bad. I switched to new Branston Spaghetti which also boasted the kid friendly no-additives label, sure enough just as vile.

Now I’m worried. At the moment Heinz is my last hope for breakfast. All is well but it’s only a matter of time before they go down the healthy route. Does this spell the end for my near 20-year favourite meal?

No comments: