Monday, June 18, 2007

Wii Didn't Start The Fire

Back on launch day I was lucky enough to get hold of a Wii. I loved it, so did the general public it seems with tales of stores unable to get hold of Wii stock until the last few weeks. In those six or so months the media turned attention to the Wii hardware drought highlighting incredible prices on ebay and parents desperation to get hold of the console for Christmas.

We were so distracted by this and tales of carnage caused by flying Wii-motes that we failed to notice something far more sinister. It’s the simple fact that once you’ve bought the Wii you’ve got very little to do with it. Wii Sports is excellent and Wario Ware: Smooth Moves is a great multiplayer party game but that’s it. Where are the other games? I love my Wii but it is concerning that 6 months later I’m still playing Wii Sports – what is essentially a glorified demo of the Wii’s abilities. It’s also worrying that I’ve spent more time using my Wii to play classic games via the virtual console than I have games specifically designed for the console.

Mario Galaxy is still months away, Sonic was a disappointment and most of the other games could easily have been created for any other console.

The hype has died away and now I’m seriously bothered that nothing is enticing me to that glowing white box in the living room. Hurry up Nintendo, Wii need more fun!

No comments: