Monday, July 05, 2004

Burberry & Bling, the most Chavvy of things...

There have been a number of times where I’ve commented on Chav culture in this Blog. Interestingly the Times decided to do the same on Saturday running a piece about how Channel 4 is catering for Chav culture where it was once ignored. Wife Swap, Big Brother etc are all ‘Chav TV’ the writer even pointed out similar things that I did about last weeks Wife Swap.

So is it all hype or are Chav’s really taking over the world? Sadly, yes they are. If you don’t know what I’m on about there are a number of websites that explain this social class typified by Burberry, bling and a poor grasp on the English language.

I was thinking about this the other day, perhaps I’m the one at fault? Perhaps I’m the snob? What gives me the right to frown upon people who come from a poorer background than me? It’s not their fault that they live in urban areas, on high-rise council estates with little sense of community. Not their fault their parents brought them up to swear like troopers. But then again it is their fault that, when they’re old enough to make their own decisions, they don’t work hard at school and instead, choose to hang around on street corners and intimidate passers-by.

My conclusion is that I don’t have one. I feel that because I have actually paused to consider why chav are the way they are that makes me different from them. You feel that the whole point of Chavs is that they don’t pause to consider others. But then again could this growing media obsession with chav culture just be a way of avoiding our own failings?

Forget Hot Or Not, find out if you're Chav Or Not!

No comments: