Wednesday, March 16, 2005

Gourmet Salty Snacks

When did crisps become posh? When I was little I remember summer evenings in beer gardens with my parents and the choice being simple – red green or blue (and if the pub stocked Walkers you’d end up with Salt ‘N’ Vinegar instead of the preferred Cheese ‘n’ Onion.)
Today I walked into the local paper shop to purchase said paper and lunchtime potato based snack. The choice was overwhelming. Not only did you have a choice of flavours but you also had the choice of a multitude of brands within brands. Pringles isn’t good enough you now have Pringles Dippas or Pringles Minis. Walkers aren’t good enough – you have to pick from regular, Max, Stax, Sensations, Potato Heads or now the new Nobby’s Chip Shop Range. There’s McCoys and McCoys specials – not mention McCoy’s Spice.
That’s just the brands – what about the flavours. Three simple ones isn’t good enough these days. In the 80s flavours diversified with Prawn Cocktail and Beef & Onion. In the 00’s you have Balsamic Vinegar, Rib-Eye Steak & Pepper, Thai Green Grass & Beansprout(!?) and Lamb & Mint Sauce. Where will this lunacy end? I’ve already seen Vanilla Flavour Monster Munch and have heard rumours of Chocolate flavour crisps.

Crisps are by far my favourite food products, if it wasn’t for them I’d be at least two stone lighter but please, oh please can this flavour lunacy end. I dread the day Walkers release Roast Llama and Pringles proudly display their Spicy Triceratops range…

Check out new flavours here!

No comments: