Saturday, March 26, 2005

Guess Who's Coming To Dinner

I’m started to get excited. It can’t have escaped you that in one hour and forty minutes one of Britian’s Pop culture icons is returning to television. Not that we have many pop culture icons, the US tend to dominate that field leaving us James Bond, Sooty and of course Doctor Who.

I’m not quite sure why I’m getting excited. Although I enjoyed Who as a kid (I was 10 when it was axed) I’ve never bought and merchandise or went out of my way to watch it.

There is also the fact that I have already seen tonight’s episode having downloaded it from the naughty leak. What’s the verdict? Well it’s great, great fun and a change from all the dreary crime/medical dramas that seem to bog down television. The effects are brilliant and Christopher Ecclestone’s performance while ‘cooler’ than previous ‘Whos’ still has enough oddness to stay loyal to the character. I couldn’t stand Billie Piper in her pop career and while I still think she looks like a monkey she gives a great performance as Rose and I’m eager to see how the companionship pans out. The dodgiest bit has to be Rose's boyfriend being eaten alive by a wheelie bin.

I will watch tonight’s episode as It’ll be good to see it on a big screen with decent sound instead of a computer but I am worried. My appreciation of Star Trek has led to me to buying all the DVDs - not cheap but when you love it as much as I do it’s worth it. I’m just concerned that if I enjoy the rest of the new Who as much as the first episode it could lead to another Sci-Fi collection under my belt. My girlfriend already knows I’m a geek I don’t need more evidence!

No comments: